Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Today's Craft Project.... NOTEBOOKS!!



This week, Hobby Lobby has a LOT of scrapbook items on sale, including paper and stickers!!! I LOVE stickers... can't have enough!  Anyway here is a set up of my craft project that took me about 1.5 hours to do 4 notebooks from start to finish.  The composition books are on sale at Staples for $0.50.  This year I am teaching two classes (morning and afternoon) but I am teaching both Math and Science to 6th graders.

I am a huge fan of notebooks and have been doing it for the past 2 years diligently in Science.  This year I am going to give Math a shot, but I had an amazing teacher in high school who made me keep a Math notebook for Algebra 2, and you know what??? I still have it!!! In fact, I referenced it a few weeks ago when I was brushing up on parabalas for my 4-8 Generalist test.  So glad I had that notebook.

Anyway.... the point of this blog is this craft.  A month or so ago, a friend of mine, posted some images of these notebooks on her Facebook and I knew I had to make them.  The key ingredient to making them is not in the picture above... see below:


No mod podge glue... just this tack spray, but it smells and can go everywhere!!  I did this project in my house, but I had a fan going the whole time.  I sprayed my notebook COVERS... not the paper, inside a box I was going to throw away-- that was the glue stayed in one place... the box.

Then I placed my papers the way I wanted them and then cut around the edges using an exacto blade. 

I also did the back with the same papers, but maybe a different layout.   Then the real fun began!  STICKERS!!! I purchased all sorts of school stickers the other day at Hobby Lobby and they worked out wonderfully.  I also added some ribbon to all four.  The ribbon is not a bookmark or anything, just glued to the front cover for added interest.






During the first few days of school, I will let the students decorate their notebooks using colored copy paper, magazine cut-outs, stencils, and glue sticks.  I think if they take their time creating them, they will feel more connected to their work, and therefore, less likely to lose it.  One thing I have not done yet is use a hand held hold punch and punch a hole in the top right corner and attach a large rubber band to it.  This way when my notebook starts to expand ( and believe me ... it will) , the rubber band will hold it all together.

I'll write a post later about how I organize my information inside, until then...Happy Crafting!!!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! You are so crafty! I love that project. It would be a nice gift to make for your team members at the beginning of the year. Thanks for sharing.:-)

    Light a Candle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! Great idea about using it as gifts at the beginning of the year.... hmmm... I think I'll do that tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out SUPER CUTE!!! When I made them I used a tape runner. I lined each side of the page, as well as a few strips in the middle. It worked great! Maybe this will help with smell of the other glue. Also there is this super strong tape that you can get at a craft store - it's double sided and its red {tried to find a link but couldn't find one}. Hope this helps!
    -Audrey
    The Sweet Life of Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Yearn to Learn: I was spotlighted?!?!?!? WOW!!! I feel sooooo special!!!! I am headed over to your blog to check it out right now :) THANKS for the support!!!!


    @Mrs. E: Great idea with super strong tape. Does it come in come in one of those runner things??? I'll look at Hobby Lobby the next time I'm in. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes the tape runner is...but the red tape is just a roll of red tape. I'm sure it has a name - I just always called it red tape {lol}. It comes in all different widths. It is on the scrapbook aisle.
    ~Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Audrey!!! I am going to head up to Hobby Lobby later today :)

    ReplyDelete