Sunday, July 17, 2011

Library Organization Strikes Again!

Well... it did.  That's what I have been doing all day.  I had my books organized by genre last year, and I really liked it.  This summer my goal was to find out each book's DRA level and put it on the book.  But then I took a 6th grade position from a 4th grade.  At my new school, the ELA teachers don't organize books by DRA... they organize them by grade level equivalency (which I really do not want to do).  So I am back to genres which is fine except last year I kinda guessed on the genre of each book.  I want to be more thorough with my library, so  I looked up each book's genre using Scholastic's Book Wizard.  Then I spread out all my books and started piling them.  By the end, my living room looked like this:
Then I decided why stop there??? Let's continue to reinvent the wheel.  Last year I used Beth Newingham's labels and I loved them.  Two problems though....
1)  I didnt use all the labels.
2)  I needed doubles of some labels but didn't want to print out 3 more labels I was not going to use. 

So tonight, I made my own labels... well for all my Fiction books.  I'll work on Non- fiction next week.  Like Beth, I used Printshop in making my labels and once I made the template for how I wanted my labels to look, all I had to do was go to google images and find the book covers I wanted on my labels.  It really didn't take too long.  Here is what they look like:





I am really excited about them. By the way, when you click on them they will show the dotted text box lines, but they will not show up in the PDF I will put up later.  After I make them for my non fiction books, I am going to use small return address labels and just put the name of the basket on it and place it on the back of each book.  So Ruby's Slippers will have the label "Realistic" on the back cover and The Giving Tree will have "Fables, Folk and Fairy Tales".  I really think this will work well.  I will try to upload my documents as PDF's next week so you all can download them. 

I will be attending a 3 day math conference, so I might not get to it until the end of the week. 

Hope this helps some of yall!

3 comments:

  1. Leslie, I love these. How did you make them? In Word? How did you get all the boxes to be the same size? It sounds like a silly question I know.

    Oh and Yes, my clocks are working clocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sydney!!!! I used Printshop which you can get a walmart for like $20. At first, I didnt think I would use it very much but I really do use it a ton!! You could probably use word as well, I'm just not sure how easily. This is what I did:

    I made a large text box and made a frame around it.
    Then I made another smaall text box and wrote FICTION.
    Next I did another small text box with a fun font and wrote the specific genre.
    Then I made a rectangle shape the size I wanted and filled it with my book image. Then I copy and pasted that same rectangle shape and filled it with a different image.

    I then grouped all the things together, copied and pasted it over and over and just changed my genres and images. (I had to ungroup them to work on the label).

    Hope this helps!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! I am currently in the process of re-organizing my books since I am moving from 1st to 3rd. I have some labels printed, but I'm kind of worried I'm going to have some books that don't fit it any of the categories. I like how you put Fiction and then the genre under that. I'd love to label all my books so kids would always know where they go, but I don't know if that will happen this summer! Maybe I could use a parent to do that part during the school year!

    ReplyDelete