Saturday, July 30, 2011

Inspired by Letters... Making Numbers

Today as I was surfing around I came across this wonderful site:
Create-Share-Inspire 
Which had this awesome picture of what they call "letter bubbles."

I've seen these all over Pinterest which I am soooooo happy to be doing now!! Thanks to all of you who were offering me invites!! I puffy heart yall!!!!  
Anyways... I love these little bubbles... only problem is.... I'm teaching math and science- I don't really need letters.

{Enter light bulb over my head}  I can make these LETTERS into NUMBERS!!! Duh!  So that's what I did today.  You can check out the post about how they made the letter bubbles but I'll tell you how I made them anyway :)

First you need scrapbook paper and small sticker numbers.  Mine were 3/4 of an inch.  You can not use card stock (tried it... it was too thick).
I used scraps of scrapbook paper from when I made my notebooks... which you can read about here.
Anyway... first I tried to trace the little clear beads- which you can buy at Hobby Lobby... you usually see them in vases or beta fish glass jars-- but the size of my circles were a little to big.  So I just winged it and cut a whole bunch of little circles. 

 Then I used my little stickers and placed my numbers on the cut out circles.
 My advice is to cut out all your little circles and place all your numbers... or letters if you are doing ABC's... and then break out the modge podge.  At first I did batches, and my fingers became so gluey that I had to stop and wash up and then get gluey again. 

After you get the numbers on, find your Craft BFF... Modge Podge and a paintbrush.
I placed glue on the little paper cut outs so I would make sure it get in all the little crevices.  It didn't work to well when I placed the glue on the glass bead and then tried to place the paper.  There just wasn't enough glue.  After you put glue on you little circle cut out, place it on the flat part of the bead.
Let them dry a little upside down. 
Then I put a layer of Modge Podge on the back side of the scrapbook paper and made sure all my edges were pressed tight against the glass bead.  After I put the layer on the back, I placed the bead face down on some freezer paper (I was out of wax paper).
Now find something fun to do while they dry. I took a nap:)  The Modge Podge that is on your sticker side takes a little while to dry.  It will look a little white, but don't worry; it'll dry clear soon.

In the end, they look like this


Aren't they cute!!! I can't wait for my kids to be able to use them in different games and lessons that we will play :)

Happy Crafting!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh so very cute!!! So glad our blog inspired you!!! Yours are adorable and love how you made them for math!!! Now you have inspired me!!!

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there....shoot me an email at tara.eiken1@gmail.com, I want to ask ya something:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  3. these would also be great as magnets-just put a piece of magnet on the back and use as "magnetic bubbles"

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoops...just read create.share.inspire-idea is already thought of... :)

    ReplyDelete