Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Preschool Ocean Art: Salt Painting

This month we are becoming Deep Sea Divers and exploring the Ocean with our Ocean Commotion Unit from Mother Goose Time.  We live about 4 hours from the coast, and my girl has yet to see the ocean; but that didn't stop us from experiencing.
We first tasted the Ocean.
After drinking regular water, we added a little bit of salt to our cup so we could taste what ocean water is like.  The face my girl made was priceless!  Wish I had my camera then.  
She obviously didn't like it, and when I asked her what it tasted like she said,"Yucky!"  
I told her that the ocean was filled with salt and we were going to make some art using salt today.


We've done salt painting in the past (a year and a half ago) when we first discovered 
Mother Goose Time, and I absolutely LOVE it!

I set up this Invitation to Create.
One thing I try to always do, especially when we paint, is use Artist tape around the edges.  It creates a nice border for her art, keeps the paper in place, and really gives a great finished look to the final piece.  


I asked my girl what 3 colors she wanted to use, and she said red, blue and yellow.
I put about 3-5 drops of our liquid watercolors in each cup and then added water.  MGT sent us a pipette, paper, the image you see on the stand and a little packet of salt.  I knew she would want more salt, so I poured a generous amount of table salt into her bowl while she grabbed a spoon from her play kitchen,  Then she started to paint.





The magic really started to happen when she placed the salt on her paper.  She loved pouring it into piles and it gave her work some beautiful dimension.  It was fascinating watching how the color would spread through the salt.  We did end up propping up her tray so the watercolor would go down the paper instead of pooling in a spot.  She painted her masterpiece for about 30-45 minutes, but it needed to dry overnight.

We looked at it this morning and it was so gorgeous!  The colors were rich and the dimension was so intriguing.  The salt had crystallized and adhered to the paper. However as I went to grab my camera to take a picture, she pressed her finger into the dried mound of salt, cracking, and breaking apart the mound!  My insides screamed "NO" as my head reminded me,
"This is her work.  Let her mess with it."

"I just want to touch it," she replied.  So she did, and while the paper was still taped to the tray, we tapped it upside down over the trash to loosen the salt bits she had scratched away.
Then something magical happened.
As we turned the tray over, we saw the most exquisite colors and craters!  I let her tap on her tray some more over the trash can, and the end result is below. 







It is absolutely gorgeous!
I have about 5 of her abstract paintings that she has created using MGT framed throughout the house.  You better believe this too will be framed!  
I could just stare and look at all these little nooks and crannies of color.

I can't wait to make some more.  Maybe I'll do my own.

Be sure to follow us on Facebook for more adventures and quick ideas to try with your learners!
And if your a Pinterest junkie like me, you can follow me here.


Here are links for my go-to items for our art projects:

            


Happy Painting!



No comments:

Post a Comment