Thursday, June 29, 2017

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Welcome to Coconut Tree Day on Alphabet Island
Since we live in the middle of the forest and no where near the beach, Sweet Pea has
learned tons of new things this month that she never experiences.  Today it was Coconut Trees.

She is *nuts* (I know I'm corny) about these daily topic posters.
I love how they are actual photographs of the real image.  After studying it, Sweet Pea relates it to the thematic poster.  We worked on counting the coconut trees.



Mother Goose Time's Make and Play activity was a Coconut Tree dancing stick.  It went perfectly with our monthly CD (track 7) which played a tropical sounding version of the ABC song.  This also coincided with the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom- an ABC book but uses mostly lowercase letters to tell the story.  
Here's how she made her dance partner:


I cut stips of green paper from the sheet MGT sent us, and Sweet Pea used her "One dot does a lot" method of putting glue on the strips.


I helped by pressing and holding them down on the cardboard tube also supplied by MGT.


I placed some glue around the top followed by Sweet Pea wrapping the green fringe paper around the trunk of the tree.  Bend the strips and you have yourself a coconut tree.


Time to Dance!  
She danced with her stick to the ABC song all around the kitchen. I think I replayed that song 5 times in a row.  She even started singing along and getting some of the letters <3   



When she was done dancing to the ABC song, it was the prime opprotunity to break out the letter puzzle manipulatives that came with our Alphabet Island theme and use them with our book. 
I popped one letter out each puzzle piece and placed all the letters on a tray 
(Sweet Pea snatched the Q before I snapped my pic)


I drew a coconut tree on her chalkboard table and she drew a giant blue circle next to it.  I think it might be the ocean .... :) 
We then read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, matching the lowercase letters in the book to the correct uppercase letter manipulative and placed it on our tree leaves.



She did a great job at this!  I was so impressed with what she knew!
However, by the time we read to the middle of the book, Sweet Pea was done with our game and just wanted to read the book.


We cuddled on the couch and read the rest of our book and talked about the letters.
I'm so grateful she loves to read.



Be sure to follow our adventures on Facebook and grab some ideas from Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment