Saturday, September 24, 2016

Getting a Handle on Emotions



This month has been an emotional month FOR SURE.  We have endured a flood of emotions this past month.  Sadness reigned as we went to a funeral for one of my best friends, my pastor, and co-worker, Ryan King and his sweet brother-in-law, one of the finest men God let grace this earth, Bryson Adkison.  That happened at the beginning of the month.  
However during that time, my family was given a beacon of hope and light in the form of a positive pregnancy test. This past week we went to the doctor, hoping to hear the heartbeat of the wonderful pregnancy we were graced with, only to find out that I have what's called a "molar pregnancy."  Basically my body thinks it's pregnant when there is no embryo. It's like the pregnancy started, but the chromosomes never were compatible, but my body never knew.  We lost the baby yesterday.
  
I know that this is a teaching blog mainly, but my faith is who I am, and it is so important for me to share that He is in control, He loves us more than we can imagine, and He is present even though we feel crushed from all sides.

1 Peter 1:6-7New Living Translation (NLT)

So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you must endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.
So teaching emotions this past month was perfect!  Sweet Pea has really been into looking and taking pictures and imitating the facial expressions she sees.  Here are the pictures she took today.

Her sad and mad face are the same. Makes sense because she cries when she's mad.
Being able to understand a person's emotions creates empathy and understanding, character traits I want to instill into my girl as much as possible.  It all starts with first being able to state what a feeling or emotion is, and Mother Goose Time had some great suggestions of activities for us to do.   
Talking about emotions with Daddy using our cube from Mother Goose Time.  It's amazing how she knew each one without us really telling her.  She's always been so observant.

Finding and pointing to the emotions Daddy asks her to find. 
"Who is happy?", "Can  you find the person who is mad?"
She really enjoyed this cube game and it was great that my husband could play with her too.
Afterwards, we read the book My Many Colored Days by Dr. Suess that we checkout out from our local library, but here's a link to it on Amazon if you are interested.

It is a perfect read about emotions and how certain colors express certain feelings.
When we finished the story, I asked Sweet Pea if she would like to paint a person like the one in our book. She ran to her apron in the hallway...that's a "yes."
So I created the "Invitation to Create" suggested by Mother Goose Time, and we used finger paints.

Sweet Pea has been really into putting the paint on her hands and then stamping it onto the paper.  As much as I would like to get out the tempra paint, it's just not the best option for us right now.  I want her to have fun and experience painting how she likes it.  If that means getting messy and dripping it on the floor, and painting all over her clothes... then finger paints are perfect.
We will use tempra another time :)





I absolutely love this last picture.  She was dancing to our monthly CD, Dance 'n Beats, and painting at the same time.  Who doesn't love listening to music while they make art?!  They go hand in hand.
We placed the masterpiece outside to dry, and of course I forgot to snap a picture of the finished work of art.  I'll update this post hopefully tomorrow.

God's timing is perfect, and I am grateful He used such an emotional time for our family to teach her about emotions.  I am truly blessed by this girl of grace in our lives. 



Mother Goose Time is an amazing and organized way to do preschool with your kiddos. If you are looking for some more great ideas, be sure to check out the gathering place on 1+1+1=1




No comments:

Post a Comment