Saturday, January 27, 2018

Home School Lesson: EMPATHY

The Golden Rule:

Treat others how you want to be treated.

One of the perks of being an only child is things are usually your way.
There's not anyone else you have to share with or take turns.  
It's your game.  Your way.

A child can become spoiled quickly being an only child which my girl was for 3.5 years.  
Instilling a spoiled, entitled attitude was and is one of my biggest fears as a mother especially as my husband I decided to home school Avaleigh and not send her to preschool.

How would she learn to share?
How would she learn to take turns?
How would she learn that it's not all about her, but others matter too?

As a mother, our choice to home school Avaleigh made me much more diligent to teach her from the very beginning how to understand the feelings of others.
Being able to empathize is critical, especially in the world we live in today.
My desires for Avaleigh start with how and what I do at home each and everyday.

I want her to have friends.
I want her to love others even the unlovely.
I want her to resemble Christ in her community- 
one who loves unconditionally and administers grace not grudges.
I want her to place others ahead of herself and remember that the world does not revolve around her.
I want her to be respectful and use manners.
I want her to treat others how she wants to be treated.

These things don't happen magically.  They are created by fostering intentional decisions everyday on MY PART as her mother, her teacher, and her role model.
And as I sit back thinking about that statement, those are big shoes to fill, but if I want the above statements for her, it starts with me.


I have to play the games with her.
I have to make sure she takes turns.
I have to teach her to share and why we do that.
I am so thankful for the wide assortment of games and activities Mother Goose Time provides us with each month.  Each time we play is a moment to teach her how to empathize.


I have to make sure she says please, thank you, I'm sorry, excuse me, yes mam, no mam, yes sir and no sir.   If I want her to say those things, I have to be saying them TO HER as well.

"Can I please see that?"
"Will you share with me?"
"Wait Avaleigh.  It's my turn now."
"Excuse me, Avaleigh, can I get by please?"
"Thank you so much for handing me that!"
"Yes mam, I would love to play with you."

Each day as I home school her with Mother Goose Time, 'I am graced with the opportunity to mold and shape my little girl into a person who will love and be loved by those around her. 
It's a big challenge for me, but that's what I signed up for when I became her mom.



Thank you Lord.
Help me to teach her to love and administer that love. to others.
Lord, please give her a heart that feels for others and help her to remain calm even when hate spews from those around her.  Lord, help her to be like you.  I can not do it.  Lord, please help me take every opportunity I can to mold her to be like you.
Thank you Jesus for loving me through my ugliness.






No comments:

Post a Comment