But this year... that is NOT going to be me. (Hopefully) I have an "idea" on what to do, and I got it at the CAMT Conference a few weeks ago. First of all, it involves these stickers... and lots of them... but they're cheap and worth it...
You can get them at Wal-mart or Staples. I use them for all sorts of stuff. Anyway... here is the idea:
1) On the first day of school (or whenever I assign notebooks), I will have students place a sticker on the front cover of their notebook. I am going to alternate the colors so that I only repeat the color 4-5 times. So if I have a class of 20 kids, and only 4 colors, 5 students will each have the same color. This is important for my sanity! :)
2) I am going to tell students that I will be taking Science notebook grades this year. I will go over my rubric for what I am looking for in their notebooks and how I will be grading them--- which also involves these stickers. I will pick 1-2 entries per week to grade and place a sticker on the top right hand corner of that page entry. The stickers will mean a certain grade.
For example : Blue sticker = 100
Green sticker = 90
Yellow sticker = 80
Red sticker = 70
Red sticker with minus sign = 60
I will never grade notebooks for the current week. I will always grade last week's entries. First I will collect the books by saying "Today I will be collecting (insert color code sticker color here) notebooks. At the end of class, please place them here." I will only have 5 to grade :) (Do a little dance :) )
When I grade, I will turn to an entry from last week that may have something special, like a graph showing an experiment, or a paragraph explaining what happened during lab, or a foldable showcasing their learning. This will be the same on each and every student. I will place the appropriate grade sticker in the corner for them.
3)The next day, I will return journals first thing (since I wont hoard them for weeks on end since I only had 5 to grade) and announce the color journal I will collect at the end of the day. This way students can have feedback for their work promptly, and I wont have to:
a) break my shoulder carrying a million journals in my bag
b) stay up all night grading
c) hear their constant "When am I going to get my journal back?" which is what happens when I try to grade 20 in one night. No bueno.
The above is pretty much set in stone... that is what I am going to do.... but wait... that's not all.... (I know I write a LOT)...
Here is the little seed idea that is starting to take root in my head from CAMT-
It's a doozy and I am not really sure about it yet.......... It involves a tic tac toe board and having the stickers be removable.
The kids remove their stickers and place them on a tic-tac-toe board that is on the inside front cover of their journal. They want to make a tic-tac-toe with the best dots that they have. Why do they want to make a tic-tac-toe??? Great question.... but this I do not know yet, but here are my thoughts.... any suggestions are most appreciated! :)
After 9 entries have been graded, students must turn in their tic-tac-toe boards.
1) Whatever sticker color that made the tic-tac-toe, will go into the gradebook as a test grade... or count twice... not sure yet??? By having them turn in their boards, I can see who is doing a superb job in their journaling, and who needs some help.
2) Their tic tac toe will be worth a certain amount of bonus points on the upcoming test
3) their tic tac toe board is worth a certain prize
4) Suggestions are WELCOME :)
I am leaning towards a test grade right now, so they begin to understand how important it is to take good notes and communicate one's thinking so others can understand.
I don't think I was able to communicate clearly in this post. I want to make it fun... hence tic tac toe... but I just am not sure. I know how to grade Math journals which I posted here. Just unsure as to how to grade Science. Any suggestions??? What do you think about the stickers???