Monday, February 12, 2018

Getting Ready to Travel with Mother Goose Time

During our first week of It's a Small World unit with Mother Goose Time, we had a ton of fun preparing for a trip!
First thing up: We need to pack a Suitcase.
Instead of digging out our roller suitcases, I grabbed one of our bags and asked Avaleigh to pack it.  The first thing she threw in was her Beauty and the Beast Usborne book.
She LOVES that story.
Then she packed her baby blanket, all sorts of clothes and shoes.  She has never packed a bag before like this, and she had so much fun digging through her drawers finding items to bring.


After packing her bag, we worked on making a Make and Play Suitcase.
Fine motor skills came into play to lace our yarn around the suitcase.  The finishing touch was using her markers to decorate the front with her name.


On every trip, you have to remember your Camera, and that is what we studied the 2nd day.
She used snapshots in the magnifying glass to locate the matching images in her theme poster.
On the back of the magnifying glass are simple activities- for example: on this airplane picture, the back stated to fly around the room like an airplane.  She had so much fun doing this.


MGT sent pictures of the destinations we will study in this unit like, The Pyramids, the Great Wall of China, the Matterhorn, and Saint Basil's Cathedral.  I cut up the pictures to make puzzles for Avaleigh.  Some were a little more challenging than others.
Such a great activity and one that I put in our "to-go" play bag.  I pull it out when we go to restaurants, grandparents, trips, whatever...
You could do this with pictures or magazines at home.  Add magnets to the back and make it a little more interactive!


Time to travel!  Let's get on the Boat or Airplane!
On our 3rd day we studied Boats and Airplanes.
Using Popsicle sticks, star stickers, and a clothespin, Avaleigh created an airplane during our Invitation to Create.  She's been running around the house with it making it fly.
However, her absolute favorite thing out of this box has been the My Little Journal booklet.
I precut shapes for her to use to make a boat on the front cover.  
I had her tell me what shape it was as she glued it down. 
Then she wrote her name- backwards.
I don't know why she did it this way, but she was so focused on making her letters, I didn't want to stop and correct her right then. 


I helped with the "e".

I wish I snapped pictures of her sitting at the coffee table with this book just coloring away at it, or of her using her shapes and shape cards to make different transportation vehicles.

I've been nursing and dealing with a newborn while teaching her, and it is definitely a challenge.
However, I love the fact that I can set out MGT activities for my girl to learn and do while I tend to the baby.  I might not snap the picture, but she's loving learning, and so am I.


Happy Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment