Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Birdwatching

This Bird and Egg Unit is my favorite so far this year yall.
If you've been keeping up with us, you will know that I blogged about how Sweet Pea and I built a Bird Sanctuary the other day outside our dining room window so we could become birdwatchers.  

We continued our transformation by reading the book The Birdwatchers, making binoculars from paper cups (provided by Mother Goose Time), and then patiently staring out the window observing quietly our bird sanctuary.


We started our day by reading The Birdwatchers.  In that book the girl and her grandpa use binoculars.  I showed Sweet Pea the Daily Poster of the Birdwatcher and she noticed the binoculars.  I asked her to look at the thematic poster and find someone using binoculars.  I love these little posters... so much packed into an image.
"Two be-oc-lars" 
What do you think they are observing, I asked.
"Ducks."


I informed Sweet Pea that we were going to become birdwatchers too.  First, we needed some binoculars, so we were going to make some!
Mother Goose Time provided us with the paper cups and Sweet Pea decided to use markers to color them.



After coloring them, I used an exacto blade to cut circles out of the bottom of the cups for the eye holes.  Add a little washi tape to make the division line between the lens and the tube, staple them together, staple some ribbon to the cups for a neck strap, and you have binoculars! 



While I did all that, I gave Sweet Pea the Birdwatcher coloring page that is part of the





Once I finished with the binoculars, we went straight to the dining room window to look at our 
bird sanctuary. 


LOOK WHO SHOWED UP!!!!



Sweet Pea was able to use her binoculars to see that little bird eat from her birdfeeder craft!
This little fella was super fast darting here and there... grabbing a seed and flying away.
It was perfect!



These little moments make me so happy that I am able to stay at home with her. 
I could have missed this!


Happy Birdwatching!!








No comments:

Post a Comment