One of the life science TEKS I have to teach is abiotic and biotic factors, which are just fancy names for living and non living things in an ecosystem. But more importantly, I have to teach the interdependence biotic factors have on abiotic items and vice versa.
There is no better way to teach this than through the first 4 minutes of Lion King. Here is what we did:
- Defined and discussed the words: abiotic factor, biotic factor, and ecosystem.
- Worked in our journals from this website about ecosystems and their factors.
- Have students make a T-chart in their journal. One side Abiotic Factors.. the other Biotic Factors.
- Watch the Lion King off youtube.com. Make sure it is just the Circle of Life song, but the volume is muted.
- Have students list as much as they can-being as specific as they possibly can. Watch the clip twice without any sound.
- Watch it with the sound one last time just for fun :) It was so sweet to see my 6th graders singing along. Love them!