There is no better way to teach this than through the first 4 minutes of Lion King. Here is what we did:
- Defined and discussed the words: abiotic factor, biotic factor, and ecosystem.
- Worked in our journals from this website about ecosystems and their factors.
- Have students make a T-chart in their journal. One side Abiotic Factors.. the other Biotic Factors.
- Watch the Lion King off youtube.com. Make sure it is just the Circle of Life song, but the volume is muted.
- Have students list as much as they can-being as specific as they possibly can. Watch the clip twice without any sound.
- Watch it with the sound one last time just for fun :) It was so sweet to see my 6th graders singing along. Love them!
When y'all are done watching it, discuss together or in their small groups and see what they have similarly or differently. We had a blast and the point was hit home. I think we will watch it again tomorrow and Thursday when discussing how the biotic organisms rely on the abiotic. How is that present in this video?
Have fun teaching this week!