Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Building a Bird Sanctuary

I've been so inspired this past month by our Birds and Eggs unit by Mother Goose Time.
We built our own nest that my girl loves, which you can read about here.  In fact, she convinced Daddy to sit in it with her and read together yesterday.  Wish I had grabbed a picture. 

Yesterday, I taught the 2-4 year old crafts at our local co-op and I had the kids make birdfeeders from toilet paper rolls, peanut butter, and birdseed.

When we came home, Sweet Pea and I decided we needed to build a bird sanctuary. 
I hope the birds feel that way.

I dug out our old chiminea that has not been used in 9 years out of the shed and hosed it off hoping it would be a great bird bath.


I either need to fill it more, or put something in the center so the birds can easily reach the water.  
We placed it outside our dining room windows so we can easily watch the birds.  


My husband built this bird feeder last year out of some scraps of wood and left over gutters he used to build bookshelves in Sweet Pea's playroom.  My girl scooped out the seeds and placed them in the feeder.  "I help too, Momma." 


Mother Goose Time had us build a bird feeder once before out of pinecones, which you can read about here.  I wish I had done that instead of the toilet paper tube.  The minute it gets wet, it will fall apart.... lesson learned.
However, she was so proud of her work!  How could I not put it up?
2 toilet paper tube birdfeeders placed on a garden hook and outside our window provides the perfect spot to watch. 


Our completed bird sanctuary.
At least that's what I'm calling it.  
I bet it becomes more of a squirrel sanctuary though.


Now to read our book The Birdwatchers 


and make some binoculars from our Mother Goose Time unit!

You can read about us becoming birdwatchers here.



Happy Birdwatching!











No comments:

Post a Comment