Friday, August 16, 2019

Science Lab: Exploring Sounds

Hi! I'm Leslie- a homeschooling momma to a 5 year old girl and 20 month old boy.  The 2 are as different as night and day.  I share our adventures here to both inspire learning at home and chronicle our lives, because honestly, I never started the baby books and my kids will just have to look back on their childhood through this blog... ha! #keepinitreal

Our schoolroom has turned into a Science Lab this past month with our Mother Goose Time curriculum.  This past week we explored Physics and had so much fun on our Sound Day.  

Our Day started with singing and dancing during our Community Challenge.
Watching my son stomp around and laugh gleefully was such a joy for this momma's heart.  I love when he gets involved with our learning.


We then made a string phone.  I have to admit .... I kinda did an "ugh" sigh when I saw this in the lesson plan.  Whenever I have done these in the past, it just hasn't turned out great, but I learned something new!!! Please allow me to share...
All you need are 2 paper cups and some yarn.  Punch a small hole through the bottom of the 2 cups and push the yarn through the hole and tie the end.  You have a string phone.  Now here's the kicker (maybe some of you already know this, but I didn't)....
You have to make sure the string it taut!  If it is loose between you and the person on the other end, the sound will not travel well.  Also, when placing the cup to your ear, have it kind of angled up towards your ear.  This allows the sound to not seem so muffled.   It took some experimenting to figure this out but that's what you do in the Science Lab: experiment!  


We played with our string phones for a long time!  We took turns asking each other questions through the phone and answering back.  It really was a lot of fun, and my girl took her phone with her everywhere the rest of the day.

My son on the other hand had lots of fun chewing on the cups. 


We ventured outside to listen to the Sounds of Nature.
There are so many birds, and you can hear each making their distinct call.  We might not know which bird is which but my girl could point out that the bird chirping was different than the last.
We could hear the water sprinklers going, water dripping, birds chirping, and cicadas making their sounds. 


While I prepped lunch, I gave them an assortment of baskets turned into guitars with the help of some big rubber bands.  This was our STEAM Station for the day. 
They had fun plucking the strings and seeing which sounds they created.


Our day ended with a symphony of Egg Shakers.  I just grabbed ones I made back at Christmas, and we just danced arounds shaking our eggs.  Some eggs are loud (filled with beans) while some are soft (filled with sugar) but they have been loved and played with for a long time.  
You can read about how I made them here.

Our week of Physics science lab started with studying Sound, but we also enjoyed experimenting with light, force, friction and gravity as well.  All of which will be amazing as we cover Physics in Classical Conversations this fall. 


Have fun experimenting my friends! 


No comments:

Post a Comment