Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Preschool: Car Wash Activities

Hi! I'm Leslie- a homeschooling momma to an almost 5 year old girl (seriously can't believe I just typed that) and 17 month old boy.  The 2 are as different as night and day.  I share our adventures here to both inspire learning at home and chronicle our lives, because honestly, I never started the baby books and my kids will just have to look back on their childhood through this blog... ha #keepinitreal.

Everything can turn into a fun learning experience!
We are enjoying a month of focusing on all things that have Bubbles, Boats, and Floats from 
Mother Goose Time.  This week we have had a blast learning about Soapy Water through daily topics such as Bath Time, Washing Dishes, Laundry, Bubble, and the Car Wash!


We usually hand wash our car.  It's been really fun seeing my girl get into it.  On this particular day, I had my kids wash their vehicles (Cozy Coupe and Trike) which they had a blast doing. 
Before we had fun in outside literally washing cars, we had some fun indoors too! 

What person does not love rubbing their hands through shaving cream?
I know I still do.  Break out that bottle (we bought ours at Dollar Tree) and practice writing letters in the foam.  I used our picture cards (that I turned into magnets...see that post here) from MGT.  My girl said the word on the picture, focusing on the beginning sound, and then wrote that letter in her cream.  I then passed the magnet to my son who put it on a metal tray.  
I am really trying to get him involved.  He is one of those people who did not like putting his hands in the shaving cream.  He is consistent at staying true to being completely opposite of his sister.



Car Washes don't have to be outside!
They can be inside too!  Our STEAM station suggested taping streamers or fasteners to an open box to allow kids to pass cars through.  Our MATH game had us sorting cars by size.  I just combined the two.  I taped some streamers to our chair, and MGT sent some sorting signs (Large Parking, Medium Parking, and Small Parking).  We gathered all the toy vehicles (including trains) and passed them through our car wash.  Usually little brother passed the cars to sister who then sorted them by size.  What I really loved about this activity, was how my girl had to keep comparing the cars to what we had.  We ended up with a lot of large cars, but we had some other sizes as well.




After my son's nap, and my girl's quiet time, we ventured outdoors to wash their vehicles.  
All I needed was a bucket of soapy water, 2 sponges, and their vehicles.  Fine motor skills were practiced as they squeezed the sponges, and they had to pay attention to make sure they removed all the dirt.  They really liked focusing on the tires. 





You should also try to eat soapy bubbly water at least once in your life.
You haven't lived your best life until then ;) 
 He's so stinkin' cute.
They were busy washing their cars for over 1/2 and hour and they both had so much fun doing it together.  I love seeing them work on things together.

I love how MGT turns everything into learning experiences... even car washing.

Follow us on Facebook for daily learning ideas.
Follow me on Pinterest because... well... pinterest is full of amazing ideas!
And be sure to check out Mother Goose Time...it's amazing stuff.





Happy Learning!




1 comment: